From University of Chicago Athletics
The No. 12 University of Chicago women's tennis team cruised to its second-straight 5-0 sweep, defeated No. 27 Carleton College in Sunday's NCAA Division III Sweet Sixteen match and captured a four-peat for the program: four-straight regional championships.
First-years Lauren Park and Nicole Semenov held off the Knights in key No. 3 doubles match, winning the tiebreaker 7-5, to clinch a three-match sweep of doubles and send the Maroons (16-5) into singles up, 3-0.
Sophomore Catherine Xu was the first to win her match at No. 2 singles, blanking her opponent in perfect 6-0 straight sets, before veteran junior Marjorie Antohi clinched the match at No. 1, winning 6-2, 6-0.
Lauren Park (No. 3), Semenov (No. 4), Eugenia Lee (No. 5), and Annika Pandey (No. 6) had already won their respective opening sets before the match was called at decision.
UChicago advances to the 2019 NCAA Division III Championships site of Stowe Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich., where they will take on a familiar opponent: University Athletic Association champion Emory on Monday, May 20.
The Maroons took the No. 1 Eagles to the brink in the UAA title match before eventually falling, 5-4.
Sunday's win marked the fourth straight trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals for UChicago and ninth overall, joining the teams of 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009.
NCAA Division III Round of 16
UCHICAGO 5, CARLETON 0
1. Antohi, Marjorie (UCW) def. Jeanny Zhang (CAR) 6-2, 6-0
2. Xu, Catherine (UCW) def. Kristina Conrad (CAR) 6-0, 6-0
3. Park, Lauren (UCW) vs. Madeline Prins (CAR) 6-2, 0-0, unfinished
4. Semenov, Nicole (UCW) vs. Faith Yim (CAR) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
5. Lee, Eugenia (UCW) vs. Elizabeth Yim (CAR) 6-3, 0-0, unfinished
6. Pandey, Annika (UCW) vs. Yelena Hallman (CAR) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
1. Xu, Catherine/Lee, Eugenia (UCW) def. Kristina Conrad/Madeline Prins (CAR) 8-3
2. Antohi, Marjorie/Daryn Ellison (UCW) def. Jeanny Zhang/Faith Yim (CAR) 8-2
3. Park, Lauren/Semenov, Nicole (UCW) def. Elizabeth Yim/Sonya Romanenko (CAR) 8-7 (7-5)